- Category: Uncategorised
The Department of Civil Engineering was one of the leading departments of the Technical & Vocational Teacher Training Institute (SELETE) founded in 1959.
Until 2002, the Department of Civil Engineering Educators offered two different degree options of 4-year duration:
- Option of Structural Engineering, and
- Option of Transportation Engineering & Hydraulics
The establishment of ASPETE (Law 3017/2002), which officially succeeded SELETE, led to the creation of two separate Departments of Civil Engineering:
- Department of Civil and Structural Engineering Educators, and
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering Educators
Like the rest Technological Departments of ASPETE, the above Departments offered two cycles of studies, as follows:
The 1st cycle of studies, a course of study 8 academic semesters which included Technological and Pedagogical Courses in the first 7 semesters, followed by the submission of the Graduation Thesis, and the successful completion of the Engineering Work Placement and Teaching Practice Sessions (PAD) in the last semester. The degree awarded at the end of the 1st cycle of studies qualified its holders to teach in the corresponding discipline in Secondary Education and was equivalent to that of TEI’s.
The 2nd cycle of studies, a course of study of 2 academic semesters, which included only Technological courses and qualified its holders to work as engineers in the corresponding discipline with professional rights equivalent to those of TEI’s.
Following Law 4186/13 the two Departments of Civil Engineering established by Law 3027/2002 merged into one:
- The Department of Civil Engineering Educators of a 5-year duration; the degree awarded qualifies its holders both to teach in the corresponding discipline in Secondary Educations and to work as engineers in the corresponding discipline with professional rights equivalent to those of TEI’s.
The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering Educators of ASPETE includes:
- the development and promotion of knowledge in the educational sciences and the science of civil engineering through teaching and applied research
- the provision of the necessary qualifications in the field of civil engineering educators and related profession
The Department is situated in ASPETE’s campus in Heraklion, Athens, GR.